Tuesday, April 7, 2009

SNL, Treading In Dangerous Waters



I was finally able to catch an episode of SNL on April 11th. It has been months since I have seen an episode.(because let's be honest they were getting horrible) 
However, the recent hope shown by cast members Bill Hader and Andy Samberg gave me some reason to sit through an entire episode sketch after sketch. 

Not to my surprise, I was filled with the same annoyance as before, but now frustrated with the amount of wasted talent. Samberg, Hader, and Forte, or FortHaderBerg for short,  all exist in a cast that does not allow them to facilitate their fullest potential. I can only hope that their ideas are being shot down left right and centre because of the edgy content. If that is the case then I feel for members who cannot express their talent through the watered down sketch show that has become SNL. 

What ever happened to the edgy content that the show was so famously known for? Canadian comedy programs have gone the same way. remember the sketch comedy of KITH (Kids in the Hall)?  I mean now we have Comedy Now!! That is the worse shit I have ever seen before. And don't get me started on the Jon Dore Show.

The SNL problem is that the talent is not being appreciated. Instead, we are stuck with Jason Sudeikis shoving the same arrogant self into as many sketches as possible- I mean come on Sudeikis do some characters.
  However, SNL does have hope in the new cast member Michaela Watkins. Watkins can actually develop and hold a character while improvising in an attempt to mess up, or challenge, another cast member. I have only seen two sketches with her, but already I am far more impressed with her than I will ever be with Sudeikis. Now, Watkins is not the show's Obi-Wan Kenobi . SNL has Hader and Samberg, but they just need to be set loose. I repeat, I can only hope that FortHaderBerg are not giving in to writing the watered down material out of pure principal. I suggest that those three cast members do the the ol' shit or get off the pot before they end up like Hammond. 

The show is treading in dangerous waters. However, the show has not attracted the sharks quite yet. FortHaderBerg needs to step up and utilize Watkins in all ways possible. The potential is there waiting to be the next big SNL superstar cast. Keep the digital shorts, but drop the rap satires-we get it already- and push for more edgy content. The show needs to get into trouble, be insensitive, be controversial, but do not lose the clever finesse. I know, if I want a KITH edge to my comedy I should surf the web. But where is the tradition in that? I love the internet age, but not since everyone and there sister can make shitty ass sketches and become quasi famous comedians because of it. However, that topic is for another day.

 I am a devout SNL fan that has defended it for years. I will continue to do so as long as they listen to ME!!  Ha, like anyone will read this blog 

Sorry, I need to go and watch some Sudeikis sketches to feel better about myself. I just hate him so much.

Cheers
B.O.D.

3 comments:

  1. I read your post, then less than an hour later I found THIS. Weird.

    http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x4992590

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with that democratic underground post Jess. I used to find SNL's parodies of celebrities funny because the exaggerated truths about the characters instead of inserting new, and in this case, racist stereotypes. I couldn't put my finger on why I was finding SNL less funny but democratic underground hit the nail on the head.

    That being said, I totally agree with Nic that there is potential still hiding in the corners of 30 Rock. The last SNL episode I watched had two sketches which stood out to me. One starring Michaela Watkins had me laughing the entire time. The other, starring host Zac Efron, was funny for the exact reason I already mentioned. Say what you want about Zac Efron, but the guy can act. The sketch took an exaggeration of his High School Musical character and followed this exaggeration to a hilarious conclusion. Bam! (in an Emeril Lagasse voice) You get a funny sketch that a wide audience can appreciate even if they haven't seen Zac's movies. That's the kind of stuff SNL needs to be doing again.

    On a slightly related note, my comment about Zac Efron's acting skills spawned out of my trip yesterday to the movie theater. My girlfriend took me to 17 Again (starring Zac Efron). I was expecting a predictable popcorn flick with poor acting performances. What I got was a predictable popcorn flick with quick good acting performances. Zac Efron, Leslie Mann, and Thomas Lennon were all excellent in it. I left thinking, "wow, that was better than I thought it was going to be." OK, so it wasn't an academy award deserving performance but it was solid, believable acting. I'd say look to see Efron improving as he gets older and getting more serious and respectable roles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, you are the one who is now treading in dangerous waters with the Zac Efron crush you have developed. HAH I am only kidding. I agree that the HSM sketch they did was hilarious, especially the walt disney ending. Also, it was nice to see Efron making fun of himself.

    P.S. Hi ANDREW!!!! I miss you. I am glad we are following each other now.
    I was tlaking to Shane the other night and we are going to get together over the summer. We just have to. Well, I hope

    ReplyDelete